Tuesday 30 September 2014

TOUCH WOOD

Went out hunting for a desk.
 Landed up roaming around various localities of Pune just to enjoy the lush greenery.
 When large banyan or other heavily foliaged trees meet at the top forming a skywalk across the road, I am so tempted to linger awhile in the shade of the canopy stretching across. It beckons me to pause a little in the daily humdrum of life, hurtling towards the end at breakneck speed.
Ever since I was a little girl ,travelling along the Grand Trunk Road  around my hometown in Punjab, was such a delight, because of the huge trees lining it. To my child's mind it seemed a certainty, that Sher Shah Suri ,the great Mughal had planted each of those trees with his own hands and came to water them daily, because he got that road built !
The shapes I would conjure up in the mazes of those branches and leaves, swaying to the music of the breeze, would fire my imagination further still. The bus would rapidly swish past the trees, in rapid succession and my imagery would run  the pictures  through like a comic strip. I could see the pixies, elves, and gnomes scrambling all over, in and out of their homes concealed in those huge tree trunks, by the thick screens of aerial roots. A few fairies could be seen prancing and dancing amongst the green and gold leaves, just for the joy of it. Others, busy doing errands ,were seen scurrying around from branch to branch swinging from the  dangling rope like offshoots. Yet, there were some who saw me smiling longingly, and waved to reassure me that one day I could  join them. Occasionally a knight in shining armour would ride by my bus window on his white steed and I would hurry to follow him, lest I  miss  the adventure.
My reverie was brought to an abrupt end when my driver gruffly asked me where exactly I wanted to go. I gave him the address, disgruntled at his audacity in interrupting my thoughts.We drove around  to a number of stores but the modern day tables did not appeal to me. They were  lifeless and lacked character. I wanted one, which could share with me many hours of togetherness;  live those moments, with as much joy and sorrow as I did, when the characters in my writings smiled or sorrowed. 
Tired of hunting in showrooms and malls, I walked into a roadside antique  shop. The sales man showed me some furniture, which made me nostalgic, reminding me of my childhood, when such designing and craftsmanship was the norm. I wandered around in the shop, admiringly  touching the carving on the edge of  a table here ,the brass handles on a chest of drawers there, but couldn't see any writing table.
 Disappointed, I thanked the salesman, turning to leave, when my eye fell on a patch of  carving and inlay work on the corner of some piece of furniture, behind a door. Stepping in, I saw a writing desk just the size, shape and design, that I wanted for my den. I looked at it lovingly wiping off the dust, stroking and admiring each line, grain and striation on the polished  teak wood. My fingers could feel the songs it sang, of  the years it stood rooted into the earth, when a majestic tree. I bargained over the price, bringing it down to my budget and paying some advance ,asked for a quick delivery.
Tired but thrilled over my acquirement, I waited to cross the road, when I glimpsed the excited face of a little girl, peering out of a passing car window as she pointed to the dense clumps of  roadside trees, excitedly saying something to a companion. 
Getting into the car, I asked the driver to stop at a nursery where good tree saplings could be bought.    


6 comments:

  1. Loved reading this post, for various reasons! For the picture you paint with your words of the tree-filled roads you traveled on, as a child and as a woman. For the last sentence of your post. For the experience you share of hunting for that perfect piece of furniture that is meant for a space. And for the feel you create in this write-up. Thank you :) And I must say, you chose a perfect writing desk. I too am quite fond of old wood furniture. Most of the furniture in my home is upcycled, refurbished old furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beloo as always you validate my writings , even if they be just vague wanderings of a vagrant mind as gypsy like as it was 60 yrs. ago. It feels good to know that we have similar tastes for certain things. I've stopped now, since I live with my daughter in a flat but back home in Jalandhar where I have a large house I would love to pick up odd pieces of furniture and redo them. Yes, wood has such a rich feel to it ...it's like gold. Pls . read my new poem Phoenix Flight and give me a v. brutally honest appraisal in my msg. box. The routine likes don't really help in self assessment. Thank you for encouraging me.

      Delete
  2. Sunil:

    Your words paint such a gorgeous picture. Your descriptions of things brings them to full life for the reader. Well-written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your appreciative comment dear Linda. This is an old post which some how coincided with the second episode of my new weekly blog (every Sunday).
      -Gypsy Wanderings- my childhood re-lived-- posted today!
      Do read that too if you can spare time. Would love to get your feedback. Love and regards.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed re-reading this post, as it kinled my memorries of my childhood days while I used to walk on the sides of the road from my home to the school on all school days in the morning and evening watching the greenary and listening the chirping of birds. The seed for my celebrated poem Banyan Tree written had been sown during my school days but the poem was written only when I was 32 years of age. I enjoy the rivery flowing style of language, coinage of wodrs some of them identical and rare coincidence to those of mine. So Nice of You Dear Dr Sunil Kaushal for sharing your reminiscences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dr Ezhil Vendhan for the appreciative comments.Glad you enjoyed this piece.

      Delete