Monday 1 September 2014

Daddy !!


Major Harbant Singh Gill


He would have been a hundred today if he had lived on. But ,the 91 years he spent on this planet were as if he wanted to pack a hundred years into every single moment of his life. My greatest hero was always my father-the best role model f
or each member of the family. A caring son to his parents, loving husband, a father who taught us by way of setting an example by his own lifestyle; whatever he did was done with 100% involvement and life paid him back a hundred fold and more.In his early twenties he was drawn towards 'Gurbani' and his daily routine of three hours of "Path" continued till his last day. Every decision and action of his was taken dedicating the result to God's will and his life's successes, both materially and spiritually are legion. The moments I enjoyed most during my childhood were when I would curl up towards his feet on cold winter mornings, snuggling into his warm quilt and fall asleep again listening to him reciting from the scriptures.
The military discipline he practised and advocated at home also, irked us as children but as adults we were grateful for it and admired his foresightedness.
Today, I thank the Almighty for being born as his daughter. I offer gratitude to my father who inculcated the values of sincere dedication in every act. The high education he provided me,and the self -confidence instilled in me and my sister by treating us as not only equal to, but at times giving us more liberty and facilities than our two brothers ,empowered us to be able to rise in a world not too favourable towards women.
I remember him on his birth anniversary with great love, admiration and gratitude.



























3 comments:

  1. A touching tribute! Beautiful, Sunil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beloo thank you so much for visiting. Today was a very emotional day for me. I had not grieved for my father when he passed away as I always tried to hide my own pain and look after others. At that moment it was my mother who had to be hospitalised the very next day. But as you rightly wrote in a comment on my previous blog, writing does de-clutter the mind as well. There were many moments of letting pent up emotions and swallowed tears being allowed to flow, as so many friends joined me while I remembered him. Now I council others that it's alright to be human . Always appreciate your comments...thanks again.

      Delete
  2. My dear Sunil,

    Like U, I too came to terms with the loss of my mother late in life. Though I lost her in 1969, when I was 18, I wrote about her for the first time 40 years later in 2009.

    See my memoir on my blog: Against the Tide: http://sangatizuzay.blogspot.com.

    Peace and love,
    - Joe.

    ReplyDelete